Preview Cart Checkout
 

Farmers and Merchants Bank

Farmers and Merchants Bank

This building, constructed in 1888 and known as the Garber Bank, was erected by Silas Garber, former Union Army Officer, the founder of Red Cloud (1871), and the fourth governor of Nebraska (1875-1879) who served two terms. Designed in by Lincoln, Nebraska, architects, the Farmers and Merchants Bank retains its Colorado stone façade, its marble steps, and its teller cages shipped by rail from Chicago.

Willa Cather was long a personal friend of the Garbers and eventually used them as prototypes for Captain and Mrs. Forrester in A Lost Lady. The bank is used in two of Cather's other writings: the short story "Two Friends," and the novel Lucy Gayheart. The site, now owned by the Nebraska State Historical Society, was orginally restored by the Willa Cather Foundation and is operated and maintained today through a partnership between the two organizations.

Garber Bank Building
338 North Webster
Red Cloud, NE 68970