Program Associate Wanted
Job Title: Program Associate
Reports To: Director of Education & Engagement
Who we are: The National Willa Cather Center exists to promote and encourage increased understanding of and appreciation for the life, times, settings, and work of Pulitzer Prize-winning author Willa Cather. We promote her legacy through education, preservation, and the arts, and we aim to become a premier cultural center that offers broad educational opportunities for our patrons to experience Cather’s work, explore historic landmarks, foster their own creativity, and embrace the arts and humanities.
Job Purpose: The role of the Program Associate is to assist with planning, executing, and promoting arts and educational events at the National Willa Cather Center and Red Cloud Opera House. The Program Associate works closely and collaboratively with a cross-functional work team to coordinate performances, guided tours, and conferences, as well as associated virtual and in-person programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in meetings of the internal programming and community engagement committees to select and plan education and arts programming
- Accept proposals and identify performing artists for consideration
- Maintain a database of artists and performers for consideration
- Correspond with artists, colleagues, and sound/lighting tech to finalize event logistics
- Ensure all contractual obligations and contract riders are met
- Collect patron satisfaction surveys and assist with organizing the data
- Track Red Cloud Opera House event attendance and ticket sales
- Create basic support documents for events (programs, posters, postcards) from existing templates
- Assist with virtual Author Series events and Spring Conference events, including live event moderation, video and survey distribution, and event support
- Assist with creating and maintaining event webpages, digital galleries, and supplemental materials for performances and exhibitions
- Coordinate event staffing duties with other staff members Schedule and work with volunteers
- Provide frontline support as a tour guide during peak season (March-October)
- Assist with hanging art exhibits
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred, but relevant coursework in the humanities or fine arts will also be considered
- Prior experience in the nonprofit field is preferred, but not required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and willingness to use standard office equipment and technology, including Google Drive, Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, and Drupal
- Outstanding communication skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail
- An appreciation of literature, the humanities, and the arts
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and communicate effectively and professionally
- The ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team
- A life-long learner who embraces opportunities to continue to grow professionally
- Adeptness to reprioritize projects as new assignments arise
- The flexibility to work as part of a small team that often wears multiple hats
Schedule and Work Environment: Generally Monday through Friday with occasional evenings and weekends as needed for events. Flex time is available when event-related work occurs outside of regular business hours. Candidates must be available to work on site at least 3 days each week; remote work for the remaining two days will be available after a 30-day on-site onboarding.
Salary and Benefits: A competitive wage will be based on experience. Benefits, including health insurance, IRA, paid holidays, and paid time off (PTO) are available. Housing and relocation support are also available.
This job description may evolve over time. Duties and the position status are subject to periodic updating. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different and/or additional responsibilities.
To apply, send cover letter, résumé, and three professional references to:The Willa Cather FoundationAttn: Human Resources413 North Webster Street Red Cloud, NE firstname.lastname@example.org | www.WillaCather.org
DEADLINE: Applicants are encouraged to apply by October 31.
—The position will remain open until filled—