Work with Us! Taking Applications for Facilities Associate
Job Title: Facilities Associate
Type: Full-Time or Part-Time Available
Reports To: Director, Collections & Curation
Who We Are: The National Willa Cather Center exists to promote and encourage increased understanding of and appreciation for the life, times, settings, and work of Pulitzer Prize-winning author Willa Cather. We promote her legacy through education, preservation, and the arts, and we are a premier cultural center that offers broad educational opportunities for our patrons to experience Cather’s work, explore historic landmarks, foster their own creativity, and embrace the arts and humanities. When welcoming guests and patrons, we are committed to prioritizing their needs and ensuring a memorable experience.
Position: The role of a Facilities Associate is to help ensure that museum sites and grounds are maintained and well-kept and that facilities are set up prior to rentals and other events. Facilities Associates are responsible for assisting with housekeeping and basic building maintenance to ensure all spaces are guest-ready for tours and events.
- Inspect and spot clean historic properties in accordance with daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly housekeeping task list
- Perform routine housekeeping duties, including dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, stocking supplies, cleaning windows, wiping down surfaces, and removing trash from receptacles.
- Keep the Red Cloud Opera House and National Willa Cather Center tidy and functional by programming thermostats, changing light bulbs, emptying dehumidifiers, leaf blowing sidewalks, etc.
- Promptly report any building concerns to management
- Assist with room setups for rentals, conferences, and events
- Participate in minor painting, remodeling, and building repairs
- Maintain landscaping at historic properties by pulling weeds, trimming bushes, and pruning trees
- Submit requests for necessary supplies when time for restocking
- Adhere to organizational values and working norms
- Assist other departments as needed to ensure optimal service to guests
- Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 30 lbs.
- Must be able to reach above head and down to the ground while dusting, using tools, moving chairs, painting, etc.
- Must be able to crawl, bend, stretch, and climb while performing routine tasks.
- Must be able to work in non-temperature controlled areas throughout the year.
Qualifications / Skills:
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Basic computer use (check email, clock in/out)
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving abilities
- Highly responsible & reliable
- Ability to work cohesively as part of a team
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Previous housekeeping experience a plus
- Valid driver’s license
Schedule: Generally between the hours of 8:00 to 5:00 daily on a predetermined set schedule that is consistent week-to-week. Hours can be flexible with management approval. Some limited weekend hours may be needed for special events, and those hours would be scheduled with appropriate notice.
Pay: $17.00-$19.00/hour with $0.50 increase upon favorable review after 3 months
This job description may evolve over time. Duties and the position status are subject to periodic updating. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different and/or additional responsibilities.