Education Scholarship for Student Research
The Willa Cather Foundation supports emerging scholars who increase our understanding and appreciation of the life and work of Willa Cather. As a part of this effort, we have created a $400 annual scholarship to support an upper-level student presenting original Cather research at a non-Cather specific conference who meets the criteria below:
- Recipient must be a graduate student or advanced undergraduate student.
- Recipient must be on the program to present a paper related to Willa Cather at major conference. All scholarly and critical approaches are welcome, as long as Cather’s work is the central focus.
- Recipient must have travel and registration expenses not already covered by other external sources.
The Willa Cather Foundation will award three $400 scholarships annually. We prefer to award at least one scholarship to a student presenting at the annual conference of the American Literature Association and another to a student presenting at the annual conference of the Western Literature Association. A third scholarship is undesignated to a specific conference, but preference is given to students presenting their research at conferences that are not Cather-specific (such as the International Cather Seminar, for which there are other available scholarships).
How to Apply
Applicants should send a message to Willa Cather Foundation Director of Education and Engagement Rachel Olsen at email@example.com with the following attachments:
- One-page cover letter which clarifies that the applicant meets all of the above criteria.
- Copy of accepted proposal for scholarly presentations.
Applicants who seek a scholarship should submit their application no later than four weeks prior to the conference.